Rahab, of House Eldredshade
Conjurer of shit's-starting-to-get-real tricks
Male human (Chelaxian) wizard (favored class) 12
Arcane School: Conjuration (opposition schools: Illusion, Enchantment)
HD 12d6+12; hp 81 (including bonus hit point added for 1st level favored class)
Init 2; Spd 30 ft./60 ft.
AC 19 (2 Dex + 2 Armor + 2 Deflection + 3 Natural Armor), touch 14, flat-footed 17
Base Atk 6; CMB / CMD 6 / 20
Atk 6 / 1 melee (club 1d6 x2 crit; dagger 1d4 19-20/x2 crit) or 8 / 3 ranged
SA Spells, Arcane Bond (familiar), Arcane school, Cantrips, Scribe Scroll, Summoner’s Charm (5 extra rounds summon duration), Acid Dart (11 x per day, 1d6+6 ranged touch), Augment Summoning (summoned creatures have +4 Str and Con), Deliver Touch Spells Through Familiar, Dimensional Steps (72 5-foot increments/day), Empathic Link with Familiar, Share Spells with Familiar, Familiar Can Speak with Similar Animals, Speak with Familiar,
SV Fort 9, Ref 8, Will 11 (note: +2 bonus on save vs. illusion, +2 bonus on Fort saves when rat familiar is within 1 mile)
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 27 (21), Wis 12, Cha 10.
Skills (ranks): Appraise 23 (12, via Robe of Runes), Craft (Books) 23 (12), Escape Artist 14 (12, via Headband of Vast Intelligence), Fly 12 (7), Intimidate 12 (12, via Headband of Vast Intelligence), Knowledge (Arcana) 23 (12), Knowledge (Geography) 23 (12), Knowledge (History) 23 (12), Knowledge (Local) 23 (12), Knowledge (Planes) 23 (12), Perception 17 (12), Ride 5 (3), Sense Motive 17 (12, via Robe of Runes), Spellcraft 23 (12), Swim 12 (12, via Headband of Vast Intelligence)
Feats: Alertness, Augment Summoning, Craft Wondrous Item, Elemental Spell (Acid), Greater Spell Focus (Conjuration), Greater Spell Penetration, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Conjuration), Spell Penetration, Toughness, Wizard Weapon Proficiencies
Traits: Magical Talent (Light 1 x day spell-like ability), Skeptic (+2 trait bonus on saves vs. illusion)
Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Elven, Giant, Ignan, Infernal, Thassilonian
• 0th – Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Bleed, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Disrupt Undead, Flare, Ghost Sound, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Pants, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Resistance, Spark, Touch of Fatigue
• 1st – Ant Haul, Burning Hands, Cause Fear, Chill Touch, Comprehend Languages, Detect Secret Doors, Detect Undead, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Floating Disk, Grease, Hold Portal, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Mount, Obscuring Mist, Protection From Chaos, Protection From Evil, Ray of Enfeeblement, Reduce Person, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Summon Monster I, Touch of the Sea, True Strike, Unseen Servant
• 2nd – Arcane Lock, Bear’s Endurance, Blindness/Deafness, Bull’s Strength, Cat’s Grace, Command Undead, Continual Flame, Create Pit, Darkness, Eagle’s Splendor, False Life, Flaming Sphere, Fox’s Cunning, Ghoul Touch, Glitterdust, Knock, Levitate, Locate Object, Obscure Object, Owl’s Wisdom, Protection From Arrows, Scare, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility, Shatter, Spectral Hand, Spider Climb, Summon Monster II, Web,
• 3rd – Blink, Dispel Magic, Fireball, Fly, Gentle Repose, Halt Undead, Haste, Keen Edge, Lightning Bolt, Nondetection, Protection From Energy, Ray of Exhaustion, Shrink Item, Spiked Pit, Summon Monster III, Tongues, Vampiric Touch, Water Breathing
• 4th – Animate Dead, Arcane Eye, Bestow Curse, Contagion, Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Fear, Remove Curse, Scrying, Summon Monster IV, Wall of Fire
• 5th – Cone of Cold, Contact Other Plane, Dismissal, Passwall, Summon Monster V, Teleport, Wall of Force
• 6th – Acid Fog, Disintegrate, Greater Dispel Magic, Summon Monster VI
Typical Spells Memorized:
• 0th (4 x per day) – Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Message, Open/Close
• 1st (6 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Feather Fall, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Summon Monster I, True Strike
• 2nd (6 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Blindness/Deafness, Cat’s Grace, Create Pit, Glitterdust, Scorching Ray, See Invisibility, Summon Monster II
• 3rd (6 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Dispel Magic, Acid Fireball, Fly, Haste, Protection From Energy, Spiked Pit, Summon Monster III
• 4th (5 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Empowered Fireball, Detect Scrying, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Summon Monster IV
• 5th (4 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Cone of Cold, Dismissall, Teleport, Wall of Force, Summon Monster V
• 6th (3 x per day plus 1 x Conjuration) – Disintegrate X 2, Greater Dispel Magic, Summon Monster VI
Equipment: 3 x wizard’s traveling spellbook, 3 x wizard’s spellbook, common backpack, masterwork backpack, 10 x candle, scroll case, flint and steel, 2 x trail rations, 2 x ink vial, 2 x inkpen, shaving kit, hooded lantern, spell component pouch, belt pouch, soap, waterskin, whetstone, dagger, club, scholar’s outfit, light horse, light riding saddle, light bridle and tack, 1 x strange bestiary book, 5 x cold iron crossbow bolts, 5 x alchemical silver crossbow bolts, stack of Tsuto’s notes, 2 texts on lichdom and necromancy, 1 x edition of The Serpent’s Tain, 1 x recovered spellbook from the sawmill in Magnimar, Mokmurian’s spellbook, Elusive Spellbook, The Book of the Strange, 1 x Robe of Runes, 1 x ring of protection + 2, 1 x cloak of resistance +2, 1 x bracers of armor +2, 1 x pearl of power 1, 1 x pearl of power 2, 1 x amulet of natural armor +3, 1 x headband of vast intellect +6 “Encircling Theorem”, 1 x wand of shocking grasp (23 charges), 1 x wand of acid arrow (41 charges), 1 x wand of magic missile (27 charges), 1 x wand of ray of enfeeblement (26 charges, spell heightened to 4th level), 2 x scroll detect poison, 1 x scroll obscuring mist, 2 x scroll prestidigitation, 9 x scroll shield, 1 x scroll reduce person, 1 x scroll dispel magic, 1 x scroll telekinesis, 1 x scroll hold monster, 2 x scroll see invisibility, 8 x scroll true strike, 4 x _potion of cure light wounds, 1 x potion of cure serious wounds, 1 x everburning torch, 30 x everburning candles, 1 x everburning human skull, 1 x handy haversack
Wealth: 1,414 gp, 9 sp, 7 cp
Escher, magical beast rat familiar 12
HD 12d8, hp 40
Init 2, Spd 15 ft. / climb 15 ft. / swim 15 ft.
AC 19 (2 Dex, 2 size, 5 natural armor adjustment), touch 14, flat-footed 17
Base Atk 6; CMB / CMD 6 / 12 (16 vs. trip)
Atk 10 / 5 bite (1d3-4)
Space 2 ft., Reach 0 ft.
SA Low-light vision, scent, Perception +1, Alertness (bestowed to Rahab when within arm’s reach), Improved evasion, Share spells, Empathic link, Deliver touch spells, Speak with master, Speak with animals of its kind (vermin), Spell Resistance 17
SV Fort 4, Ref 6, Will 9
Str 2, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 2.
Skills: Climb 10, Escape Artist 14, Perception 16, Stealth 18, Swim 25; Racial Modifiers 4 Stealth
Feats: Weapon Finesse (bite)
“If those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, then those who comprehend history are destined to define it.” – from the writings of Rahab, of House Eldredshade
The child of an unknown Chelaxian father and a scullery maid who died in childbirth, the boy was sold to a Korvosan wizard seeking either an apprentice or a suitable sacrifice by which to seal a fiendish pact. At just three years of age the child had mastered the power to conjure magical light and inadvertently saved his own life. He was called Rahab, and took for his own the family name of House Eldredshade, after the wizard who raised him.
“Having discovered something, seek then to understand it. Understanding transforms the found into the formidable.” – from the writings of Rahab, of the House Eldredshade
A lesson imparted by the senior Eldredshade to his pupil on a storm-swept afternoon long gone, marking the culmination of delirious experiments in conjuration and summoning: “Consider the mathematics of magic. Each magical expression transforms potentiality into actuality through the progressively complex calculus of formulae that unlock the mechanism of the universe. Magic is simultaneously the cipher that reveals the code of time and space, and the substrate upon which the next levels of reality are built. Magic is calculated transcendence. Where most philosophies aspire vainly to transcendence, magic offers transcendence that can be seized.”
“Fear not corruption. Rather, guard against the limits corruption imposes on the mind’s journey to transcendent power.” – from the writings of Rahab, of House Eldredshade
At age 20 Rahab took official leave of his tutor when the senior wizard succumbed to a virulent plague of assassin’s knives borne on a sweeping wind of political upheaval. Not without perspicacity, Rahab took what little money and equipment he could carry and bartered passage on a ship to distant Magnimar where he apprenticed to a bookmaker during the day and spent evenings exploring the city and seeking the power and lore for which his taste had been so assiduously cultivated since infancy.
“To hide a thing is to undertake a triviality. To keep a thing hidden demands lives and lifetimes.” – from the writings of Rahab, of House Eldredshade
In his continued and compelling search for arcane lore, Rahab has availed himself of those languages he hopes will reveal the world’s secrets: the common speech of humans is inextricably linked with knowledge, while the storied aesthetic of Elven and the truly ancient tongue of Draconic are the very alphabets of magic itself. He has versed himself in Aquan, reasoning that many secrets lie lost in the watery depths of the world, and he has learned Infernal, for surely the ancient scholarship suffusing the Hells is matched only by the vast archival rigor with which devils catalog time and tide. Ardent though his eldritch studies have been, especially toward the very power to create, Rahab’s scholarly emphasis has largely eschewed the trickery of illusion and the seduction of enchantment. The former he regards with scorn, the latter he finds simultaneously confusing and alarming. When he steps to the canvas of violence, he prefers to paint in acid, accompanied by the chorus of monstrosities bound to his will.
“The unknown is powerless. Discovery—by only a single mind—elevates that which was previously hidden to the channels of power. The most dangerous thing in the world is not that which is wholly secret, but rather that which is known but to a few, or to one.” – from the writings of Rahab, of House Eldredshade
In game terms, Rahab’s alignment reflects his philosophy of magic and the sentient experience of it: mastery of the near-limitless potential of magic requires dedication, precision, discipline, forbearance, patience, acumen, and systematic research (lawful). Yet magic remains merely a tool, a means to an end, a marker on the road to acquisition of further valences of power, and so it may be used for good or evil, or better yet, to transcend (or transgress) limited Manichaean notions of same (neutral). For Rahab, the dialectical problem is not one of good and evil; rather, his conflict stems from wanting on one hand to explore the near-infinite fractal and exponential arithmetic that permutes when power is revealed and disseminated, and wanting on the other hand the heady thrill of keeping for oneself some knowledge or secret that is addicting in its exclusivity.
“Those bears are being not nice!” – Quinn Correa
Rahab has grown into a passable, grim young man of 27 years. His dark hair is cut short and combed slickly back, and for now he affects an impish goatee and mustache that contrast against his pale skin. His eyes are cold blue-green, and his narrow frame stands 73 inches tall. Among the qualities oft attributed to Rahab—intelligent, ambitious, calculating, sardonic, self-satisfied, introspective, shrewd, pedantic—noticeably absent is nice.